PanAm-UNSAT 2017 – Dallas, Texas – USA
The Second Pan American Conference on Unsaturated Soils (PanAm-UNSAT 2017) was held in Dallas, Texas, USA, from November 12th to 15th, 2017, as a specialty conference of the Geo-Institute/ASCE.
Conference theme: Unsaturated Soil Mechanics for Sustainable Geotechnics.
- Conference co-chairs: Laureano Hoyos and John McCartney.
- Technical Program co-chairs: Sandra Houston and William Likos.
- Local co-chairs: Marcelo Sanchez and Gerald Miller.
- Logistics coordinator: Majid Ghayoomi.
- Sponsorships/exhibits chair: Anand Puppala.
- 230 attendees (24% students, 20 countries represented, 75/25 male/female ratio), and 12 exhibitors/sponsors.
- 318 abstracts received and 294 abstracts approved for draft submission.
- 147 peer-reviewed papers published in four GSP volumes.
- First Distinguished Pan American Lecture (Sandra Houston).
- 4 Keynote Lectures, 2 Fredlund Symposium plenary sessions, 6 State-of-the-Art /State-of-the-Practice plenary lectures, 3 Panel Sessions, 27 concurrent technical sessions.
- Pre-conference short course on “Heave, Settlement and Lateral Expansion of Unsaturated Compacted Fills” by Iraj Noorany and Christine Detournay.
- Pre-conference short course on “Simple Methods to Characterize and Model Unsaturated Soil Behavior” by Xiong Zhang, Laureano Hoyos and Marcelo Sanchez.
GSP Publications (Editors: Laureano Hoyos, Sandra Houston, John McCartney & William Likos):
- Geotechnical Special Pub. No. 300 (ASCE), “PanAm Unsaturated Soils 2017: Plenary Papers”, 365 pp.
- Geotechnical Special Pub. No. 301 (ASCE), “PanAm Unsaturated Soils 2017: Fundamentals”, 603 pp.
- Geotechnical Special Pub. No. 302 (ASCE), “PanAm Unsaturated Soils 2017: Applications”, 426 pp.
- Geotechnical Special Pub. No. 303 (ASCE), “PanAm Unsaturated Soils 2017: Swell-Shrink and Tropical Soils”, 460 pp.